Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Experimenting with CAD 26/02/2020

In my experimentation with Google SketchUp, I sought to enhance my skills in the CAD program through my research and learning of tutorials and downloading of plugins and extensions to increase the versatility of the software.

This was in an attempt to create a 3D model of the cross section I had made for my Trent Jansen Studio and  Mountain and Moon clients as opposed to just merely extruding the cross section as I did here.

I had downloaded the 'artisan' toolkit but had little knowledge as to how to effectively use the software, so I had to predominantly use tools which I had more experience and time with and had already invested in for the time being. That is the Fredo6 Tool kits, including Curviloft and the JHS powerbar.

I had begun my second attempt at a 3D model by producing, two circles which overlapped each other and using the offset tool and push/pull to produce walls about 0.5 meters. The previous CAD model I had created was still helpful as I made it into a component which could be loaded directly into the Sketchup file to be used as reference to the cross section of the building. 

Using this, I created a slight ramp on the surface of the model to reflect the cross section I had made using the move tool. The Fredo6 tool, smooth run was then used to smooth out the surface and clean up the lines. 

It was here that I was able to use a 2 point arch to project onto the height of the two overlapping circles and subsequently use the move tool to create a curved and interesting shape. 

As the curves of the model were slightly messy due to the warping SketchUp had done through the move tool. I used the little knowledge I had of the 'artisan' tool kit to subdivide and smooth out the edges I had.
As I continued to experiment, my design had begun to drastically change as I used hidden geometry produced by the curves in Sketchup to produce arcs and interesting shapes to reflect my 'biomimicry' design. However, the design is starting to lean more towards 'biomorphic' and a shell like design which I will need to address later. I ensured my previous model was a component so that the new lines I produced did not interfere with my current model.
Using, Curviloft, I was able to using the 'skinning' tool to make the shapes I had drew into a 'face'.

Whenever this tool is used, the faces produced became components to my benefit. The gaps that did not become a face had to be manually selected and 'skinned' separately.
I used this knowledge of SketchUp mechanics to my advantage by creating a duplicate of the shape by selecting the component in the components window and further experimenting with the types of shapes I could create.
 A conclusion I eventually drawn on was to angle the shape on top of its self and create arcs to join them together.

For now, I have 'skinned' the arcs using Curviloft to make a face, but I intend this component of the Trent Jansen Studio to be hollow and void in consideration of how the building reflects the notion of 'biomimicry' and perhaps a canopy like or plant like structure in terms of space, form and structure.

I have made this into the a component to further experiment with and use later. I plan to revisit sketching of this model building in an attempt to evaluate the human experience of the architecture of the building and how the clients may operate within. Throughout my experimentation, the essence of 'biomimicry' had become loss in imagery instead of immersing within the concept of being inspired by the 'process of nature' which I had intended for Trent Jansen Studio and thus, more sketches may need to be produced.




No comments:

Post a Comment