Sunday, April 19, 2020

Move!

IDEATION PROCESS


In terms of moving elements, I wanted to think about how I could strengthen my scheme all the while created a balanced form of architecture that worked with my theory and circulation.

I had uncovered that there were multiple means of entry into the school space so I wanted to reinvigorate the main entrance to the school's common space to make a grand statement about the school of architecture.

From a previous site analysis, I knew that the common space area I had proposed was engulfed in sunlight which would be beneficial for the well-being of the inhabitants of my bridge in design.


My primary idea was to have a fractured pavilion style element which would split apart and slide and swivel down to form stairs. The pavilion would be a form of sun control and would shift according to 'two modes' in the school of architecture. A 'studio mode' would have the pavilion concentrate light and focus it into the particular space while 'social mode' would engulf the architecture in light - completely changing the experience.  

Making the common space stairs a moving element would also force students to use a separate, adjacent flight of stairs during 'studio mode' which would be far more inconvenient but increase studio productivity.


For my second moving element, I wanted to really focus on the relationship between the different end users of the school of architecture. That being the staff and students as well as their respective spaces and how I could enhance the relationship between them.

The second moving element will be primarily active during 'social' mode and I was hoping to have a ornament that would from a 'bridge within a bridge' to provide greater convenience between staff and student amenities, but also passively strengthen the bond between them and generate a sense of community. 

The Egg Building in China – National Centre for Performing Arts ...

National centre for Performing arts in China.

According to tutor feedback, I also got the idea to dramatically change the shape of the architectural building between the two modes to further enhance the experience. 

Moving Element in Sketchup (DRAFT)


Animations

Draft Animation 1:

Draft Animation 1 with Context:


The initial animations serve as a means to communicate the concept and are not completely accurate in terms of the idea I had in mind. I am working towards resolving the moving elements of the building so that it is significant to the architecture and is thus more so 'movement in architecture' and 'not moving architecture'.

LUMION ANIMATIONS





Images

Before:


After:

No comments:

Post a Comment